CHERRYFIELD – The Cherryfield-Narraguagus Historical Society will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the District with it’s fourth annual Tour of Historic Buildings, offering participants the opportunity to see a number of these remarkable interiors, some perennial favorites and a few new venues. Tickets and guide brochures for the Cherryfield Historic Architecture Tour will be available from 1-4pm on July 17 at the Historical Society building at 88 River Road¬† and cost $20.00 per person. The money from the tour is used to maintain and improve the Society building, which is also on the tour and is of considerable interest for its architecture as well as for its displays of local artifacts. The route can be driven, biked, or easily walked by the moderately fit. Please be aware that not all of the private homes are handicapped-accessible. For more information call 546-7937 or 546-2076. A “walking tour” of the Historic District is available for those who wish to learn more about the architecture of the town on their own. Guidebooks can be picked up at the town office or at the General Store on Main Street, just off the intersection of Routes 1 and 193. The tour is also featured on the Society website, cherryfieldhistorical.com.
The General Alexander Campbell House, built in 1790 in the Federal style, is a Cherryfield landmark and known for being the home of the “Washington County Railroad, a much-photographed, large gauge layout at the top of Campbell Hill on State Highway 1. The house has been continuously occupied by the descendants of this prominent businessman and statesman for 200 years and the original part of the house has been preserved much as it was when he lived there. The family has graciously agreed to open this rather famous home once again to give tour participants a glimpse of the inside.
The Arthur Willey House, built in 1876 in the Second Empire style, is an outstanding example of fine restoration as well as fine period architecture. Although off the beaten path, this house is also popular with shutterbugs for its turret and ornate facade. When the present owners took possession, they found it in a greatly compromised condition with some serious structural issues and all the interior woodwork removed. Over the past three years, they have faithfully restored it and the Society is pleased to offer it on the tour for the first time this year.
Contact Name: Burni Andres, Joanne Willey, Kathy Upton
Telephone Number: (207)546-7937