HALLOWELL – The 2010 Maine Preservation Honor Awards Thursday, June 3rd at the Hallowell City Hall, Recognizing excellence in historic preservation throughout the state. Maine Preservation Recognized Seven Projects and Individuals.
A ceremony, with reception following, honored individuals, organizations and projects that exemplify great achievement and best practices in historic preservation in Maine. The Honor Awards Ceremony featured before and after color visuals of the recognized projects.
The 2010 Maine Preservation Honor Awards recognized property owners, architects, contractors, special craftsmen and others connected to the restoration and rehabilitation of the Woolen Mill in North Berwick, the Monhegan Light Station, the Shepherd Block in Rockport, the Union Hall Meeting House in Winterport, the Thomas Hatch Block in Bangor, and the Old North Wayne Schoolhouse. In addition Maine Preservation recognized Christopher Glass of Camden with its Preservation Champion lifetime achievement award.
The Caleb Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides and manages affordable housing for low and moderate-income residents throughout New England, carefully rehabilitated the North Berwick Woolen Mill with the services of Portland Builders, Archetype, Inc. and the Maine State Housing Authority. The project created 40 new units of affordable housing for residents over the age of 55 earning less than 60% of the area median income, and contributed immensely to the town’s social and economic vibrancy by enlivening rehabilitating a formerly derelict historic property.
Monhegan Light Station, a navigational icon of the Maine coast, was designed by Alexander Parris and built in 1850. In 2009, with the guidance of consultant John Leeke and Earle Shettleworth of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission, the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association completed a thorough restoration of the exterior and interior of the light tower, stabilizing and returning it to its appearance at the turn of the 20th Century.
Winterport Union Hall Meeting House, originally a multi-denominational meetinghouse built in 1834, suffered over time from deferred maintenance. With the help of significant community-wide support, and Nickerson & O’Day Inc., Winterport Union Meeting House Corporation undertook considerable structural repairs of the meetinghouse, from foundation to the tip of the bell tower. The completion of the project in 2007 allows the meetinghouse to
be used, as in decades past, as a beautiful community building overlooking the Penobscot River.
The Shepherd Block in Rockport, constructed in 1891, has housed many of the towns historic businesses. After a fire forced the closure of the building in 2007, Leucadia Development Corporation stepped in to team up with other community organizations in an effort to reconstruct the building. The project required a considerable amount of work to the framing and to the interior. The Shepherd building now has a sound structure and envelope to ensure its survival for years to come. The building’s historic elements have
been preserved and it is the new home to two long-established cultural standard bearers of the town and will serve to revitalize the village center.
Old North Wayne Schoolhouse, served as the education center for North Wayne for 108 years. The school closed in June, 1962, when the Town built a central school to service all of Wayne. In January, 2005, the North Wayne Schoolhouse Preservation Steering Committee was formed. The committee took a rundown building and restored it as the pride of the North Wayne Village.
Because of the hard work and effort of this committee, along with the
generous financial support and broad-based volunteering efforts of the community, the schoolhouse was revived as a unique community space for young and old to utilize and better understand the Town’s history.
The Thomas Hatch Block, built by its namesake in 1832, served as a
residential building until the beginning of the twentieth Century when it was bought by Mellen N. Atkins, who renovated the first floor into
storefronts, the second floor into apartments, and the third floor into
business offices. In December of 1999, an arson fire damaged the third floor of the building. In 2000, Bob and Suzanne Kelly created the Thomas Hatch Block Partnership to raise the necessary funds to renovate the building. The Block was renovated into seven apartments and a popular restaurant/catering business encompassing three storefronts.
Christopher Glass, for more than 35 years, has provided leadership,
expertise, talent and commitment to the preservation and enhancement of¬† Maine’s historic buildings, downtowns and historic neighborhoods. An architect in private practice in Camden since 1974, he served on the Maine Historic Preservation Commission for a dozen years including as its chair. He instructed Bowdoin College students for 20 years. He served as Trustee and Advisory Trustee of Maine Preservation for 35 years including two stints as its President and edited and illustrated its quarterly newsletter for
nine years. He also authored two major books, including Historic Maine Homes in 2009 and numerous articles. For lifetime achievement, outstanding effort, tireless support and unsurpassed commitment to the preservation field in Maine, Christopher Glass was awarded with the most prestigious 2010 Preservation Champion Honor Award.
For further information on each of the 2010 awards with photographs and past awards, visit: www.mainepreservation.org.
Contact Name: Maine Preservation
Telephone Number: 207-775-3652